Brandeis University conducted a survey of FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) participants and compared results to a group of non-FIRST students with similar backgrounds and academic experiences, including math and science. Highlights of the study’s findings include:
When compared with the comparison group, FIRST students are:
- More than 3 times as likely to major specifically in engineering.
- Roughly 10 times as likely to have had an apprenticeship, internship, or co-op job in their freshman year.
- Significantly more likely to expect to achieve a post graduate degree.
- More than twice as likely to expect to pursue a career in science and technology.
- Nearly 4 times as likely to expect to pursue a career specifically in engineering.
- More than twice as likely to volunteer in their communities.
We don’t have specific, identical studies focused on FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) but based on our observations, the results are likely to be similar. Learn more